The Victims (Jack the Ripper) Part 7

The Whitehall Mystery Ca.

Wednesday, 3 October 1888

On the morning of 3 October 1888, workmen reporting for duty on the site of the New Scotland Yard building on the Embankment found that during the previous night or early-morning hours someone had scaled the wooden palings around the area and deposited a body in one of the cellars. The body was in fact only the trunk of an adult female; her arms, legs, and hands had been cut off. The head and legs never turned up, but the arms were later found in the river Thames.

Though those investigating the East End murders never believed this crime had anything to do with the Whitechapel murders, the press seized on yet another murder to add to the growing catalog of crimes to be placed at Jack the Ripper’s door. Like the Ripper crimes, this murder remains unsolved, but that is really the only thing it has in common with the other deaths. None of the typical mutilations were noted, beyond of course the dismemberment itself.

Mary Jane Kelly

Friday, 9 November 1888

By the beginning of November, many believed that the Ripper terror was over. The month of October had been a relatively quiet one, with only the horror of the kidney sent to George Lusk of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee to disturb the peace. That situation was about to change in the most terrible of ways.

At 10:45 A.M. on 9 November, John McCarthy was in his chandler’s shop at 27 Dorset Street, checking his accounts.

McCarthy also owned 26 Dorset Street, which had been sectioned off into separate rooms, and a number of properties in Miller’s Court, which ran between numbers 26 and 27. Most of his tenants paid their rent on time, but the topics showed that one, Mary Jane Kelly, had run up arrears to the tune of 29 shillings. So McCarthy sent his assistant, Thomas Bowyer, to call on Mary and see whether he could get some money from her.

Mary Kelly lived at 13 Miller’s Court. In effect, her lodging was the back room of 26 Dorset Street and was entered by means of the second door on the right, down the court. Bowyer walked down the narrow passageway, stopped at Mary’s door, and knocked. There was no reply. He knocked a second time, but again there was no sound from within. It was the day of the Lord Mayor’s Show, and Bowyer knew that Mary had expressed an interest in going to watch the parade. Perhaps she had already left, but Bowyer thought he would investigate further. Going further into the court, he turned to his right, where two windows from number 13 looked directly into Miller’s Court. The windows were different sizes, the smallest one being closest to the edge of the wall. Two panes in this window were broken, and Bowyer reached in through one of these panes and pulled the curtain to one side so he could look into the room and determine whether Mary was really not at home.

The first thing Bowyer saw was what looked like two piles of flesh on a table. Then, as his eyes grew accustomed to the darkness inside the room, he also saw a body lying on the bed and a great deal of blood. Bowyer turned and ran back up the court to his employer’s shop, where he gasped, "Governor, I knocked at the door and could not make anyone answer. I looked through the window and saw a lot of blood."

John McCarthy went to see for himself, taking Bowyer back with him. Looking through the window and confronted by what Bowyer had described to him just a few minutes before, McCarthy told his assistant to run to the police station and fetch someone. Bowyer ran to Commercial Street Police Station and there blurted out his story to Inspector Walter Beck and Detective Walter Dew. Even as he was trying to make himself understood, his employer came into the police station and told the two officers what he and Bowyer had seen at Miller’s Court. Soon all four men were hurrying back to the dark, narrow court. They reached number 13 just after 11 A.M. Once the two police officers had taken their turn at the window and seen the carnage inside, they sent for further help.

At 11:15 A.M. Dr. George Bagster Phillips arrived and confirmed after his own view through the broken window that the body in the room was in such a state that it was beyond all aid. Fifteen minutes later, at 11:30 A.M., Inspector Abberline arrived, but the door to 13 Miller’s Court was locked. The police believed that bloodhounds had been sent for, so they decided not to force an entry. This was largely because of Sir Charles Warren’s pet theory on the use of bloodhounds and the officers at the scene awaiting his and the dogs’ arrival. They did not know that Warren had already resigned. For hours the police and others merely stood around, waiting for something to happen.

At 1:30 P.M. Superintendent Thomas Arnold arrived and announced that the bloodhounds were not coming and that the door should be forced open immediately. John McCarthy armed himself with a pickaxe and smashed the door down. Dr. Phillips was the first man to enter the room, and as the door was pushed back it banged against a table that stood by the bed. The scene inside the small, dingy room was almost beyond belief, and it was clear that Jack the Ripper had struck yet again, this time indoors, where he could be secure in the knowledge that he would not be disturbed and could give full vent to his impulses. The body on the bed was unrecognizable as a human being and could only be identified as Mary Kelly by the eyes and hair.

Miller's Court, Dorset Street. It was in the entry by the side of the lodging house opposite that George Hutchinson stood and was seen by Sarah Lewis.

Miller’s Court, Dorset Street. It was in the entry by the side of the lodging house opposite that George Hutchinson stood and was seen by Sarah Lewis.

The body was moved to Shoreditch Mortuary at 4 P.M., after which the windows of number 13 were boarded up and the front door padlocked shut. Two police officers stood guard at the entrance to the court to stop curious souls from trying to crowd down the court and take a look at the scene.

The following day, Saturday, 10 November, Inspector Abberline returned to 13 Miller’s Court and made a careful search of the room. He paid special attention to the ashes in the grate, which appeared to have been the scene of a fierce blaze because the spout of a kettle had dropped off, the solder having melted. The inspector found that clothing had apparently been burned, possibly in order to give the killer the light he needed to complete his terrible work.

That same day the postmortem was carried out by Dr. Phillips, Dr. Thomas Bond, and Dr. Frederick Gordon Brown. Later that Saturday Dr. Phillips and Dr. Roderick Macdonald also visited 13 Miller’s Court to sift through the grate ashes themselves, seeking any burnt human remains. This search would seem to contradict press reports that stated that no portion of the bodily organs were missing.

The inquest on Mary Jane Kelly opened at the Shoreditch Town Hall at 11 A.M. on Monday, 12 November, before Dr. Roderick Macdonald. Inspector Abberline began by escorting the jury to the mortuary to view the body and then to Miller’s Court to see the scene of the crime. Once the jurors had returned to the Town Hall, the evidence began.

The first witness was Joseph Barnett, an unemployed market porter who had previously worked at Billingsgate and who had been Mary Kelly’s longtime companion and lover. Barnett explained that he and Mary had first met in Commercial Street on Good Friday, 18 April 1887, at which time she was living at Cooley’s lodging house in Thrawl Street. From the first moment they had gotten on well together and had agreed to meet again the following day. Once again they had enjoyed each other’s company and had agreed to live together. They first shared a home in George Street, then lived in Little Paternoster Row off Dorset Street. After that they lived in Brick Lane, finally moving to 13 Miller’s Court in early 1888.

The couple continued to live together at Miller’s Court until 30 October, when they quarreled. According to Barnett the quarrel came about because Mary had allowed a homeless prostitute to move in with them. He had accepted this situation for a couple of days, but then they argued and he moved to a lodging house at New Street, Bishopsgate. He and Mary remained on good terms, however, and he visited her each day, usually giving her some money.

On the evening of 8 November, Barnett visited Mary Kelly at about 7:30 or 7:45 P.M. and stayed until about 8 P.M. When he first arrived a friend of hers, Lizzie Albrook, was there, but she soon left him alone with Mary. He apologized that he had no money to give her and said they were on good terms when they parted.

The story of Barnett’s visit was confirmed by Maria Harvey, who was possibly Mary’s closest friend. Harvey testified that she had slept at 13 Miller’s Court on the nights of 5 and 6 November, after which she had found lodgings for herself at 3 New Court, also off Dorset Street. According to Harvey’s testimony, she spent the afternoon of 8 November with Mary and was in Mary’s room when Barnett called. Harvey then left so the couple could be alone and confirmed that the two seemed friendly with each other. The only discrepancy was that Harvey put the time of Barnett’s arrival at about 6:55 P.M. She also said that she had left some clothing at Mary’s room and that most of it was now missing, implying that her garments were among those burned in the grate.

There is some confusion over Maria Harvey’s testimony, for press reports of the time make it clear that the woman who was in Mary’s room when Joe Barnett called was in fact Lizzie Albrook. Other reports seem to confirm that Harvey actually spent the entire afternoon of 8 November with Kelly. Mary Kelly had called to visit Harvey at her room in New Court, and they had gone out drinking. They parted at about 7:30 P.M., and Harvey believed that Kelly was then heading toward Thrawl Street. It appears that in fact Mary Kelly then went home to Miller’s Court, where she was joined by Lizzie Albrook, with Joe Barnett calling on her soon afterward.

Thomas Bowyer and John McCarthy told of their discovery of the body and, along with Joe Barnett, were also able to fill in the details of Mary Kelly’s background. Though none of this story could be confirmed, Mary had told them and others that she had been born in Limerick, Ireland, but that her family had moved to Wales while she was still quite young. When she was 16 or so Mary had married a collier named Davies, but soon afterward he had been killed in the mines.

Mary said she had first come to London in 1884 and had begun working as a prostitute in a brothel in the West End. One of her clients had taken her to France, after which she began to call herself Marie Jeanette Kelly. After returning to London she took up with a man named Morganstone, who lived in Stepney. After that relationship ended she began living with Joe Fleming in Bethnal Green Road. In due course she moved to the East End, living first with a Mrs. Buki and later at Mrs. Carthy’s at Breezer’s Hill, Pennington Street. Little of this story can be demonstrated to be hard fact, and Mary may have invented much of it to give herself a more glamorous past. However, writer Bob Hinton has done some excellent research into Mary Kelly’s history and has discovered a private hotel in Merthyr Tydfil that among its guests, in the 1881 census, listed a 16-year-old widow named Mary Davies.

So far the last sighting of Mary Kelly had been by Joe Barnett at around 8 P.M. on 8 November. Other witnesses were now called who could testify to Mary’s movements later that day and into the next. Mary Ann Cox lived at 5 Miller’s Court and had known the dead woman for about nine months. Mary Ann had been out soliciting in Commercial Street and returned to her room to warm herself about 11:45 P.M. on the 8th. As she turned into Dorset Street she saw Mary Kelly walking in front of her, in company with a man. At the time Mary Kelly seemed to be much the worse for drink, and as Mary Ann watched, the couple turned into Miller’s Court.

By the time Cox reached the entrance to the court, Mary and her male friend were just going into Kelly’s room. As she passed, Mary Ann called out, "Good night, Mary Jane," and Mary replied in kind, though with some difficulty owing to the drink, adding that she intended to have a song. Cox got a good look at the man because there was a light almost directly opposite the door. She described him as about 36 years old and 5 feet 5 inches tall. He was stout, with a fresh complexion but blotches on his face. He had a thick, carrotty mustache and was dressed in shabby dark clothes with a dark overcoat and a black billycock hat (a derby). He was carrying a quart can of beer. Cox heard Mary Kelly singing inside her room, "Only a violet I plucked from my mother’s grave when a boy."

At midnight Cox went back out, returning to Miller’s Court again at 1 A.M., at which time she heard Mary Kelly still singing inside her room. When Cox returned for the last time at 3 A.M., there was no light from the windows of number 13, and all was quiet. Throughout the rest of the night, Cox slept fitfully.

She heard several men entering and leaving the court and finally heard someone leave at 5:45 A.M., though she could not say from which room.

Elizabeth Prater lived at 20 Miller’s Court, the room immediately above Mary Kelly’s. Prater returned to the court at about 1 A.M. on 9 November and stood for a time in the archway in Dorset Street, waiting for the man with whom she was living. When he did not appear, she went up to her room and finally retired for the night at about 1:30 A.M. She then slept for a few hours until awakened by her kitten walking across her throat. Very soon afterward she heard a cry of "Murder" (such cries were a daily occurrence in Whitechapel at the time, and people rarely took any notice). She had no idea what time it was but, because the lodging-house light was out, assumed that it was sometime after 4 A.M. At 5:30 A.M. Prater went out to the Ten Bells public house for a tot of rum. She then went back to her room and slept until 11 A.M.

The Ten Bells public house, where Mary Jane Kelly was a frequent customer. The Ten Bells briefly changed its name to the Jack the Ripper from 1976 to 1988. The interior contains some fascinating Ripper exhibits.

The Ten Bells public house, where Mary Jane Kelly was a frequent customer. The Ten Bells briefly changed its name to the Jack the Ripper from 1976 to 1988. The interior contains some fascinating Ripper exhibits.

A close-up of the entrance to the Ten Bells public house. Mary Jane Kelly passed through this very door, and so might have Jack the Ripper!

A close-up of the entrance to the Ten Bells public house. Mary Jane Kelly passed through this very door, and so might have Jack the Ripper!

That same cry of "Murder" may well have been heard by another witness, Sarah Lewis. Lewis lived at 29 Great Pearl Street but very early on the 9th had argued with her husband and walked out of the house. She decided she would stay with some friends, the Keylers, who lived at 2 Miller’s Court. It was 2:30 A.M. as Lewis passed Christ Church; soon after this she was in Dorset Street, approaching the entrance to Miller’s Court. She saw a man standing by the lodging house that was almost directly opposite the court. She described this man as not tall but stout and stated that he was wearing a black wideawake hat. As she looked at him, another young man with a woman passed along the street. The man near the lodging house appeared to be looking up the court as if waiting for someone to come out.

Inside the Keylers’ room, Sarah Lewis slept in a chair until about 3:30 A.M., then she sat there awake until 5 A.M. Just before 4 A.M. she heard a single loud scream of "Murder," thus apparently confirming Prater’s story. If both women were correct, this cry may have been Mary Kelly’s last word, placing the time of the attack upon her at about 4 A.M. on the 9th.

Much more contentious was the testimony of Caroline Maxwell, who lived in Dorset Street. Though there was some difference between the medical evidence and that of Sarah Lewis and Elizabeth Prater, the general consensus was that Mary Kelly had been killed sometime in the early hours of 9 November. However, Maxwell claimed to have seen Mary Kelly after this time.

Maxwell had known Mary Kelly for only four months and had previously spoken to her only twice, but she stated that between 8 and 8:30 A.M. on the 9th she had seen Kelly standing on the corner of Miller’s Court. The two women fell into conversation, and Kelly admitted that she was feeling the worse for drink and pointed out some vomit in the gutter that she said she had just produced. One hour after this, at about 9:30 A.M., Maxwell saw Kelly again, talking to a stout man in dark clothes outside the Britannia public house. This testimony has been seized upon by a number of authors who wish to extend the Masonic Conspiracy theory (discussed in the "Suspects" section) to claim that some kind of conspiracy existed and that someone other than Mary Kelly died in the room at 13 Miller’s Court. A much more likely explanation is that Maxwell was mistaken about the date.

Dr. Phillips started the long-awaited medical evidence, but if the onlookers and gentlemen of the press were expecting a graphic illustration of the Ripper’s latest atrocities, they were sadly disappointed. Phillips reported that the immediate cause of death was the severance of Mary’s right carotid artery. Beyond that he would say only that he deduced that Mary had been attacked while lying at the far right side of the bed and that her body had subsequently been pulled from that side after death, probably so the killer could more easily inflict the other injuries. He placed the time of death somewhere between 4:45 and 5:45 A.M., which did not agree with the testimony of the two women who had heard the cry of "Murder." It must be remembered that there is no proof that this cry issued from Mary Kelly; on the other hand, it is also possible that various factors may indicate that the time of death was somewhat earlier. All we can infer with accuracy is that Mary Kelly died in the early hours of 9 November, possibly as early as 4 A.M., possibly as late as 5:45 A.M.

Spitalfields Church. It was this clock that Sarah Lewis used to time her arrival in Dorset Street. Soon afterward she saw a man standing in the entrance to a lodging house and looking up Miller's Court. That man was almost certainly George Hutchinson.

Spitalfields Church. It was this clock that Sarah Lewis used to time her arrival in Dorset Street. Soon afterward she saw a man standing in the entrance to a lodging house and looking up Miller’s Court. That man was almost certainly George Hutchinson.

The only other witnesses were Inspector Beck, the first policeman at the scene, and Inspector Abberline, who reported on his searches of the premises and the fire grate. After this testimony the coroner told the jury he believed they might have enough information to return a verdict, which they duly did.

The conspiracy theorists have read much into the haste with which the inquest was concluded, deducing that the state was hiding something. This notion is pure nonsense. The only purpose of any inquest is to determine the cause and circumstances of death. It was plain that Mary Kelly was the victim of murder by some unknown person, and this conclusion was reflected in the verdict. A more likely reason for secrecy is that the police wished to prevent further sensationalist reports in the newspapers.

What then were the extent of Mary Kelly’s injuries? Although no details were given at the inquest or in the newspapers, it is possible to piece together what occurred from Dr. Bond’s notes, published in part in the Lancet. Dr. Bond had arrived at Miller’s Court at 2 P.M. on 9 November while the body was still in situ. His notes, written on 10 November, read as follows:

The body was lying naked in the middle of the bed, the shoulders flat, but the axis of the body inclined to the left side of the bed. The head was turned on the left cheek. The left arm was close to the body with the forearm flexed at a right angle and lying across the abdomen. The right arm was slightly abducted from the body and rested on the mattress, the elbow bent and the forearm supine with the fingers clenched. The legs were wide apart, the left thigh at right angles to the trunk and the right forming an obtuse angle with the pubes.

The whole of the surface of the abdomen and thighs was removed and the abdominal cavity emptied of its viscera. The breasts were cut off, the arms mutilated by several jagged wounds and the face hacked beyond recognition of the features and the tissues of the neck were severed all round down to the bone. The viscera were found in various parts viz: the uterus and kidneys with one breast under the head, the other breast by the right foot, the liver between the feet, the intestines by the right side and the spleen by the left side of the body. The flaps removed from the abdomen and thighs were on a table.

The bed clothing at the right corner was saturated with blood and on the floor beneath was a pool of blood covering about two feet square. The wall by the right side of the bed and in a line with the neck was marked by blood which had struck it in a number of separate splashes.

The face was gashed in all directions, the nose, cheeks, eyebrows and ears being partly removed. The lips were blanched and cut by several incisions running obliquely down to the chin. There were also numerous cuts extending irregularly across all the features.

The neck was cut through the skin and other tissues right down to the vertebra, the fifth and sixth being deeply notched. The skin cuts in the front of the neck showed distinct ecchymosis. The air passage was cut at the lower part of the larynx through the cricoid cartilage.

Both breasts were removed by more or less circular incisions, the muscles down to the ribs being attached to the breasts. The intercostals between the fourth, fifth and sixth ribs were cut and the contents of the thorax visible through the openings.

The skin and tissues of the abdomen from the costal arch to the pubes were removed in three large flaps. The right thigh was denuded in front to the bone, the flap of skin including the external organs of generation and part of the right buttock. The left thigh was stripped of skin, fascia and muscles as far as the knee.

The left calf showed a long gash through the skin and tissues to the deep muscles and reaching from the knee to five inches above the ankle.

Both arms and forearms had extensive and jagged wounds.

The right thumb showed a small superficial incision about one inch long, with extravasation of blood in the skin and there were several abrasions on the back of the hand and forearm showing the same condition.

On opening the thorax it was found that the right lung was minimally adherent by old firm adhesions. The lower part of the lung was broken and torn away.

The left lung was intact; it was adherent at the apex and there were a few adhesions over the side. In the substances of the lung were several nodules of consolidation.

The pericardium was open below and the heart absent.

In the abdominal cavity was some partly digested food of fish and potatoes and similar food was found in the remains of the stomach attached to the intestines.

Dr. Bond made one error in his long report. Mary Kelly was not naked. The surviving photographs show that she was wearing a small chemise.

Crucially, Bond was of the opinion that the killer, though he had great coolness and daring and undoubtedly possessed much physical strength, showed no indication of specialized anatomical knowledge.

The inquest having been closed, and the few witnesses heard, one would think that this was the end of the matter, but one more crucial witness was yet to give his testimony. At 6 P.M. on 12 November, the same day that the inquest took place, a laborer named George Hutchin-son walked into Commercial Street Police Station and said he wished to make a statement. That statement deserves reporting in full:

About 2:00 A.M., 9th, I was coming by Thrawl Street, Commercial Street, and just before I got to Flower and Dean Street I met the murdered woman Kelly and she said to me "Hutchinson, will you lend me sixpence." I said "I can’t, I have spent all my money going down to Romford." She said "Good morning, I must go and find some money." She went away towards Thrawl Street. A man coming in the opposite direction to Kelly tapped her on the shoulder and said something to her. They both burst out laughing. I heard her say "Alright" to him and the man said "You will be alright for what I have told you." He then placed his right hand around her shoulders. He also had a kind of a small parcel in his left hand, with a kind of a strap round it. I stood against the lamp of the Queens Head Public House and watched him. They both then came past me and the man hung down his head with his hat over his eyes. I stooped down and looked him in the face. He looked at me stern. They both went into Dorset Street. I followed them. They both stood at the corner of the court for about 3 minutes. He said something to her. She said "Alright my dear, come along, you will be comfortable." He then placed his arm on her shoulder and gave her a kiss. She said she had lost her handkerchief. He then pulled his handkerchief, a red one, out and gave it to her. They both then went up the court together. I then went to the court to see if I could see them but could not. I stood there for about three quarters of an hour to see if they came out. They did not so I went away.

On the original statement these words are followed by an empty line, after which the following was written: "Description: age about 34 or 35, height 5ft 6, complexion pale, dark eyes and eye lashes, slight moustache curled up each end and hair dark, very surley looking; dress, long dark coat, collar and cuffs trimmed astracan and a dark jacket under, light waistcoat, dark trousers, dark felt hat turned down in the middle, button boots and gaiters with white buttons, wore a very thick gold chain, white linen collar, black tie with horse shoe pin, respectable appearance, walked very sharp, Jewish appearance. Can be identified."

In the entire statement, only two alterations were made to arrive at the final version quoted above. Initially Hutchin-son referred to the public house where he was standing as the Ten Bells, but this name was crossed out and the Queen’s Head substituted. Also, in his detailed description of the man, the word dark was originally placed before the words slight moustache and then crossed out.

The press soon found Hutchinson, and the following day, Tuesday, 13 November, he gave another statement to reporters that carried even more detail. In this he said, The man was about 5ft 6ins in height, and 34 or 35 years of age, with dark complexion and dark moustache, turned up at the ends. He was wearing a long dark coat, trimmed with astracan, a white collar, with black necktie, in which was affixed a horseshoe pin. He wore a pair of dark "spats" with light buttons over button boots, and displayed from his waistcoat a massive gold chain. His watch chain had a big seal, with a red stone, hanging from it. He had a heavy moustache curled up and dark eyes and bushy eyebrows. He had no side whiskers, and his chin was clean shaven. He looked like a foreigner.

Later, the same report continued, He carried a small parcel in his hand about 8in long, and it had a strap round it. He had it tightly grasped in his left hand. It looked as though it was covered in dark American cloth. He carried in his right hand, which he laid upon the woman’s shoulder, a pair of brown kid gloves. One thing I noticed, and that was that he walked very softly. I believe that he lives in the neighbourhood, and I fancied that I saw him in Petticoat Lane on Sunday morning, but I was not certain.

The body of Mary Jane Kelly lying on her bed on the afternoon of 9 November 1888. Parts of her body have been placed between her legs, under her head, and on the table, which can be seen at bottom right. Close scrutiny reveals marks on the wall above Mary's left hand that look like the letter M. Some writers have claimed that this clue was deliberately placed in this awkward position as a clue to James Maybrick being the murderer.

The body of Mary Jane Kelly lying on her bed on the afternoon of 9 November 1888. Parts of her body have been placed between her legs, under her head, and on the table, which can be seen at bottom right. Close scrutiny reveals marks on the wall above Mary’s left hand that look like the letter M. Some writers have claimed that this clue was deliberately placed in this awkward position as a clue to James Maybrick being the murderer.

Many students of the murders place great store on George Hutchinson’s statement and description of the man he saw, especially because Inspector Abber-line gave it credence and assigned two detectives to accompany Hutchinson on walks around the district to see if he could find the man. The statement is especially useful to those who wish to find a "gentleman" killer such as those involved in Royal or Masonic conspiracies. Can this theory, however, be treated with much confidence?

It may well be that Hutchinson lied about the man he saw. The reasons for this possibility are discussed in the "Suspects" section, but let us for a moment assume that he was telling the truth and that he saw Mary Kelly’s well-dressed client at about 2 A.M. This testimony would dovetail neatly with that of Sarah Lewis, who saw a man standing opposite the court at 2:30 A.M., looking up the passageway as if waiting for someone to come out. We can then assume that the man she saw was Hutchinson, who would have left the spot about 15 minutes later. This evidence still would not necessarily make the client the murderer because the best opinion available puts Mary Kelly’s death at some time between 4 and 5:45 A.M. The "gentleman" would have had to remain in Mary’s room with her for at least two hours before he attacked her. Would it not be more reasonable to assume that Hutchinson’s stern man completed his business with Mary and left some time after Hutchinson did, after which Mary would have had time to find another client?

One final drama remained to be played out: the funeral of the victim. It took place on Monday, 19 November, at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Cemetery at Leytonstone, having been paid for by Henry Wilton, the verger of St. Leonard’s Church in Shoreditch. Thousands lined the route to pay their last respects.

Next post:

Previous post: