volume 110, number 2 (published online before print December 24, 2012),
21. Fred Pearce, With Speed and Violence , 65. For more on the effects of climate
change on the Amazon, see Nikolas Kozloff, No Rain in the Amazon: How
South America's Climate Change Affects the Entire Planet (New York: Palgrave
M ac m i l la n, 2 010).
22. Despite the inaccuracy of the term, a problem I will discuss in the Appendix, I
will use the word “skeptics” because calling this group “deniers” suggests that
the rest of us are somehow free of denial - a dubious proposition at best.
23. Keynyn Brysse and others, “Climate change prediction: Erring on the side
of least drama?” Global Environmental Change , volume 23, issue 1 (February
24. Parkinson, Coming Climate Crisis? 321.
25. See Nathan Willcox, “Extreme downpours up 30%. Scientists link trend
to global warming,” Environment America, July 31, 2012, htp://www.
percent and the underlying report, Environment America Research and
Policy Center, “W hen it Rains, it Pours: Global Warming and the Increase
in Extreme Precipitation from 1948 to 2011,” July 31, 2012, htp://www.
26. For a summary of the leading climate change stories of 2012, which includes
events that occurred in the United States, see Greg Laden, “Top Climate
Stories of 2012,” ScienceBlogs, December 28, 2012, htp://scienceblogs.com/
27. For a brief, readable overview assessing the impact of climate change on each
region of the United States, see the United States Global Change Research
Program, Global Climate Change Impacts in the U.S. , 2009 Report , h t p : //
28. Hansen, Storms of My Grandchildren , 14 6.
29. W. A. Kurz and others, “Mountain pine beetle and forest carbon feedback
to climate change,” Nature 452 (April 24, 2008), 987-990, doi:10.1038/
30. Phillip J. van Mantgem and others, “Widespread Increase of Tree Mortality
Rates in the Western United States,” Science , volume 323, number 5913
( January 23, 2009), 521-24, doi:10.1126/science.1165000.
31. See the assessment at the United States Global Change Research Program,
Global Climate Change Impacts in the U.S., 2009 Report , htp://nca2009.