HTML and CSS Reference
Practice the skills
you learned in
the tutorial using
the same case
Data files needed for the Review Assignments: back.jpg, dtd_list.txt, founttxt.htm, logo.
Tom has another legacy page containing an order form that he wants you to modify
so that it complies with the syntax rules for XHTML strict. The file contains some older
HTML elements and syntax, so he wants you to confirm that the file is well formed and
valid after you've updated it for XHTML. Figure 9-28 shows a preview of the completed
Wizard Works order page
Complete the following:
1. Use your text editor to open the founttxt.htm and wstylestxt.css files from the
tutorial.09\review folder included with your Data Files. Enter your name and the
date in the comment sections of the files, and then save them as fountain.htm and
wstyles.css , respectively.
2. Insert an XML prolog at the top of the fountain.htm file, setting the version number
to 1.0 and the character encoding to UTF-8.
3. Below the XML prolog, insert a DOCTYPE declaration indicating that this document
conforms to the XHTML 1.0 strict DTD (you can copy the code for this declaration
from the dtd_list.txt file in the tutorial.09\review folder).
4. Set the default namespace for the document to the XHTML namespace.
5. Use a validator to test whether the document is well formed and valid under the
XHTML 1.0 strict DTD.
6. Fix any errors reported by the validator. Note that when this form should have an
7. If any deprecated presentational attributes are found, replace them with an equivalent
style added to the bottom of the wstyles.css style sheet. Document your new styles.