HTML and CSS Reference
3. Within the video element, nest an object element displaying the mandel.swf Flash
player. Add an attribute and a parameter to loop the player back to the beginning
4. If the browser does not support the Flash player, display a message telling the user
that he or she must have the Shockwave player. Include a link to the Web site where
the user can download the player.
5. Scroll down to the article element. Within the paragraph in this element, insert an
object element containing the Java applet for the Mandel.class file; set the width of
the Java window to 280 pixels and the height to 240 pixels.
6. If the browser does not support Java, have it display the text Your browser does not
support Java applets in place of the Mandel.class applet.
7. Save your changes to the file.
8. Open the Web page in an HTML5-enabled browser and verify that the video plays
9. Open the Web page in a browser that does not support HTML5 but does support
Flash, and verify that you can play the Flash video. If the browser does not support
HTML5 and Flash, verify that the browser displays a message indicating that the user
should install Flash. Re-enable Flash if you disabled it.
10. Test the fractal applet to verify that you can use it to zoom into the Mandelbrot Set at
different levels of magnification.
11. Disable Java support and verify that the browser displays a message indicating that
you should install Java. Re-enable Java support in the browser.
12. Submit your completed files to your instructor, in either printed or electronic form,
Case Problem 4
page for a youth
data Files needed for this case Problem: beethoven.mp3, beethoven.ogg, beethoven.
swf, byso.jpg, bysoinfo.txt, bysologo.jpg, creditroll.class, modernizr-1.5.js, schedule.txt
Boise Youth Symphony Orchestra The Boise Youth Symphony Orchestra (BYSO) is
one of the premier young people's orchestras in the United States. Denise Young, the
BYSO artistic director, has asked you to help create a Web site that contains information
about the orchestra. Denise has a short excerpt from the first movement of Beethoven's
Symphony No. 8 in F Major, Op. 93 that the orchestra played in its most recent spring
concert. She would like you to embed the clip in the Web page. She also has a schedule
of upcoming events and concerts that she would like displayed in a scrolling marquee.
Complete the following:
1. Use your text editor to create an HTML file named byso.htm and a style sheet named
bstyles.css . Enter your name and the date in a comment section of each file. Include
any other comments you think will aptly document the purpose and content of the
files. Save the files in the tutorial.07\case4 folder included with your Data Files.
2. Go to the byso.htm file in your text editor and design the Web page using the files
you've been given and any other supplements you have. Place all of your styles in
the bstyles.css style sheet.
3. The page should contain the audio clip from Beethoven's Symphony No. 8. Provide
the clip to the user in MP3 and OGG format using the HTML5 audio element. For
browsers that don't support HTML5, provide the audio clip in a Flash player using
the SWF format. For browsers that support none of these formats, display a hypertext
link to the beethoven.mp3 file.