HTML and CSS Reference
Complete the following:
1. In your text editor, open the uwlisttxt.htm fi le from the tutorial.02\case1 folder
included with your Data Files. Enter your name and the date in the fi le comments.
Save the fi le as uwlist.htm in the same folder.
2. Directly below the h1 heading, insert a navigation list containing an unordered
list with following list items: Private Colleges and Universities , Technical College
System , and University of Wisconsin System .
3. Add the ids private , technical , and public to the three h2 headings that categorize
the list of schools.
4. Mark each of the school entries on the page as a hypertext link. Use the URLs pro-
vided in the colleges.txt fi le. (Hint: Use the copy and paste feature of your text editor
to effi ciently copy and paste the URL text.)
5. Adella wants the links to the school Web sites to appear in a new tab or window.
Because there are so many links on the page, add a base element to the docu-
ment head specifying that all links open by default in a new browser window or tab
named collegeWin .
6. Link the three items in your navigation list to the corresponding h2 headings.
7. For each of the hypertext links you marked in Step 6, set the link to open in the cur-
rent browser window and not in a new browser window or tab.
8. Save your changes to the fi le.
9. Open uwlist.htm in your Web browser and verify that the school links all open in
the same browser window or tab, and that the links within the document to the dif-
ferent school categories bring the user to those locations on the page but not in a
new window or tab.
10. Submit your completed fi les to your instructor, in either printed or electronic form,
Case Problem 2
HTML to create
a slide show
Data Files needed for this Case Problem: fi ddler.jpg, fi dstyles.css, fi rst.png, home.png,
hometxt.htm, last.png, modernizr-1.5.js, next.png, prev.png, slide1.jpg-slide6.jpg,
Lakewood School Tasha Juroszek is a forensics teacher at Lakewood School, a small
private school in Moultrie, Georgia. Tasha has just fi nished directing her students in
Fiddler on the Roof, Jr. and wants to place a slide show of the performances on the Web.
She has already designed the layout and content of the pages, but needs help to fi nish
the slide show. She has asked you to add hypertext links between the slide pages and the
site's home page. Figure 2-51 shows a preview of one of the slide pages on the Web site.