Biomedical Engineering Reference
accurate computational models, and understanding of how tissue changes are
involved in aging and disease. Further, this knowledge will inform strategies for
tissue engineering osteochondral replacement materials and engineering of
advanced biomimetic materials that join highly dissimilar materials.
Acknowledgments Support for this work was funded by the National Science Foundation
CAREER Award (NSF#1055989), the University of Colorado Innovative Grant Program, and a
National Science Foundation graduate fellowship to RCP. Thank you also to Sara E. Campbell at
the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder CO USA, for imaging support.
1. Broom ND, Poole CA (1982) A functional-morphological study of the tidemark region of
articular cartilage maintained in a non-viable physiological condition. J Anat 135(pt 1):65-82
2. Symmons D, Turner G, Webb R, Asten P, Barrett E, Lunt M, Scott D, Silman A (2002) The
prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis in the United Kingdom: new estimates for a new century.
3. Lawrence RC, Felson DT, Helmick CG, Arnold LM, Choi H, Deyo RA, Gabriel S, Hirsch R,
Hochberg MC, Hunder GG, Jordan JM, Katz JN, Kremers HM, Wolfe F (2008) Estimates of
the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part II.
Arthritis Rheum 58(1):26-35
4. Dang L, Liu Z (2010) A review of current treatment for lumbar disc herniation in children and
adolescents. Eur Spine J 19(2):205-214
5. Yang PJ, Temenoff JS (2009) Engineering orthopedic tissue interfaces. Tissue Eng Part B
6. Park P, Garton HJ, Gala VC, Hoff JT, McGillicuddy JE (2004) Adjacent segment disease
after lumbar or lumbosacral fusion: review of the literature. Spine 29(17):1938-1944
7. Malchau H, Herberts P, Ahnfelt L (1993) Prognosis of total hip replacement in Sweden.
Follow-up of 92,675 operations performed 1978-1990. Acta Orthop Scand 64(5):497-506
8. Grayson WL, Chao PH, Marolt D, Kaplan DL, Vunjak-Novakovic G (2008) Engineering
custom-designed osteochondral tissue grafts. Trends Biotechnol 26(4):181-189
9. Hung CT, Lima EG, Mauck RL, Takai E, LeRoux MA, Lu HH, Stark RG, Guo XE, Ateshian
GA (2003) Anatomically shaped osteochondral constructs for articular cartilage repair.
J Biomech 36(12):1853-1864
10. Jiang J, Nicoll SB, Lu HH (2005) Co-culture of osteoblasts and chondrocytes modulates
cellular differentiation in vitro . Biochem Biophys Res Commun 338(2):762-770
11. Jiang J, Tang A, Ateshian GA, Guo XE, Hung CT, Lu HH (2010) Bioactive stratified polymer
ceramic-hydrogel scaffold for integrative osteochondral repair. Ann Biomed Eng 38
12. Murray RC, Blunden TS, Branch MV, Tranquille CA, Dyson SJ, Parkin TD, Goodship AE
(2009) Evaluation of age-related changes in the structure of the equine tarsometatarsal
osteochondral unit. Am J Vet Res 70(1):30-36
13. Schaefer D, Martin I, Jundt G, Seidel J, Heberer M, Grodzinsky A, Bergin I, Vunjak-Novakovic
G, Freed LE (2002) Tissue-engineered composites for the repair of large osteochondral defects.
Arthritis Rheum 46(9):2524-2534
14. Shao XX, Hutmacher DW, Ho ST, Goh JC, Lee EH (2006) Evaluation of a hybrid scaffold/
cell construct in repair of high-load-bearing osteochondral defects in rabbits. Biomaterials