Graphics Programs Reference
How it Works - From 3D CAD to Real Components
• To start with the 3D CAD model is created.
• Then the CAD file is exported as an STL file. At this stage all model surfaces are broken
down into triangular facets.
• Next the model is sliced into very thin, essentially 2D, layers.
• Following this software assigns parameters, values and (depending on the 3D Printing
technology) support material information.
• The file is then interpreted and built layer-by-layer by the 3D Printing machine.
• When the process finishes the completed 3 dimensional component is revealed.