HTML and CSS Reference
Figure 14-13. Validation results with a segment of the markup code (top) and the long description at the bottom
of the page
Beyond common markup languages such as XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1, and HTML5 (and many older
versions), Total Validator also supports HTML + RDFa 1.1, XHTML + RDFa 1.1, HTML5 used as a polyglot language,
and even XHTML5. Accessibility can be checked at all levels of WCAG, as well as according to Section 508. The spell
checker supports American and British English, French, Italian, Spanish, and German.
Total Validator provides screenshots for analyzing web page appearance in different browsers, including various
versions of Firefox from version 1.5, Internet Explorer from version 5.5, Konqueror 3.5, Lynx 2.8, Opera, and Safari.
An interesting option is that the validation result can be saved as HTML and opened with a single click on the
button Last Results the next time the tool is executed.
A comprehensive commercial validator is SortSite, developed by PowerMapper . Its main features can be
summarized as follows:
• Accessibility : Check conformance against WCAG 1.0, WCAG 2.0, and Section 508.
• Broken links : Check for broken links and incorrect server configuration.
• Compatibility : Check for browser-specific code, scripts, and image formats.
• Compliance : Check for compliance with EU and U.S. law.
• Markup and styles : HTML, XHTML and CSS validation.
• Search engine optimization : Check Google, Yahoo!, and Bing content guidelines
• Usability : Check against Usability.gov guidelines