Environmental Engineering Reference
material requirements, reducing energy expense in compression and lique-
faction process, and therefore reducing the total cost. For the high pressure
gas storage, the challenge lies in increasing H 2 pressure, finding new light-
weight and higher strength materials for vessels. For liquid hydrogen storage,
the design of cryogenic vessel and reduction of the cost and energy loss in
liquefaction process present the main challenges. In addition, the concern of
safety of using pure hydrogen is an issue to the public. Thus, for future
hydrogen cars, safer and more reliable storage methods need to be developed,
and chemical storage is one alternative with high promise.
1. Targets for onboard hydrogen storage systems for light-duty vehicles. http://www1
explanation.pdf (last accessed December 9, 2013).
2. Status of hydrogen storage technologies. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenand
fuelcells/storage/tech_status.html (last accessed December 9, 2013).
3. Zhou, L., Zhou, Y.P. Determination of compressibility factor and fugacity coefficient of
hydrogen in studies of adsorptive storage. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
2001 , 26 (6), 597-601.
4. Wasserstoff Daten: Hydrogen data. http://www.h2data.de/ (last accessed December 9,
5. Hydrogen Composite Tank Program. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/
pdfs/32405b27.pdf (last accessed December 9, 2013).
6. Pathways to commercial success: Technologies and products supported by the hydrogen,
Fuel Cells & Infrastructure Technologies Program. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/
hydrogenandfuelcells/pdfs/pathways_success_hfcit.pdf (last accessed December 18,
7. Silbey, R.J., Alberty, R.A., Bawendi, M.G. Physical Chemistry , 4th ed., John Wiley &
Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
8. Strobel, R., Oszcipok, M., Fasil, M., Rohland, B., Jorissen, L., Garche, J. The compres-
sion of hydrogen in an electrochemical cell based on a PE fuel cell design. Journal of
Power Sources 2002 , 105 (2), 208-215.
9. Abdulla, A., Laney, K., Padilla, M., Sundaresan, S., Benziger, J. Efficiency of hydrogen
recovery from reformate with a polymer electrolyte hydrogen pump. AIChE Journal
2011 , 57 , 1767-1779.
10. Leung, W.B., March, N.H., Motz, H. Primitive phase diagram for hydrogen. Phys. Lett.
A 1976 , 56 , 425.
11. Barron, R.F. Cryogenic Systems , 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, New York, 1985.
12. Flynn, T.M. Cryogenic Engineering , Dekker, New York, 1997.