HTML and CSS Reference
Figure 9-18 The speech bubble vertically aligned to the baseline of the text.
vertical-align also accepts the following values, as demonstrated in Figure 9-19:
• middle —Aligns the vertical midpoint of the inline element with the baseline and half of the x-height (the
height of the lowercase x character). In Figure 9-19, note that because the speech bubble image is 15 px tall,
the browser doesn't quite perfectly center the image.
• sub —Lowers the baseline of the inline element to meet the position for subscripts <sub>.
• super —Raises the baseline of the inline element to meet the position for superscripts <sup>.
• text-top —Aligns the top of the inline element with the top of the text.
• text-bottom —Aligns the bottom of the inline element with the bottom of the text.
Figure 9-19 The speech bubble when vertically aligned to the baseline, subscript, superscript, text-top, and text-bottom